The Sacrament of Baptism
Holy Baptism is the basis of the whole Christian life, the gateway to life in the Spirit, and the door which gives access to the other sacraments. Through Baptism we are freed from sin and reborn as sons of God; we become members of Christ, are incorporated into the Church and made sharers in her mission: Baptism is the sacrament of regeneration through water in the word.
Catechism of the Catholic Church 1213
Our Baptism Policy
Requirements for the Celebration of Baptism by Church law:
Parish Registration: A priest can only celebrate the baptism of persons who are registered in his parish. For an infant or child, the family must be registered. For families from other parishes who wish to have the baptism take place here, a letter of permission from their home parish is required.
Religious Instruction: Parents must receive religious instruction from the Church concerning the responsibilities of Catholic parenting. We offer this instruction at Saint Pius X and parents are required to participate. Godparents are welcomed to attend, but not required. Baptismal dates are scheduled only after the Parent Enrichment session (religious instruction) is completed.
About Parental Responsibilities
Commitment by Parents: By Church requirement, parents must give their assurance that the child will be given every benefit of Catholic upbringing. The responsibility of raising the child in the ways of the faith begins immediately with Baptism and extends all the way to adulthood. If parents are not able to make this commitment to the Church community, they should consider delaying the celebration of baptism until they are prepared to undertake these responsibilities.
About Choosing Godparents
The Role of the Godparent is to assist the parents in raising their children in the Catholic faith.
- Godparents are chosen by the birth parents
- Godparents are Practicing Catholics.
- Models of their Catholic faith and are examples of prayer, worship and Christian practice.
- A practicing Catholic is one who is fully initiated in the Catholic faith (Baptism, Holy Communion and Confirmation) and can provide the Parish Office with a Sponsor Certificate verifying this from their parish. The prospective Godparents must contact his/her parish and ask the pastor to provide a Sponsor Certificate. Please bring the Godparent Sponsor Certificate to the Parent Enrichment session.
- Once you identify and provide the paperwork for the Godparent(s), you can also have a Christian Witness, who is of Christian faith and active in that faith.
The Church does not require two godparents. When there are two, however, there can be only one godmother and one godfather. If you have questions regarding Godparents, please speak with Deacon Jim at the Parent Enrichment Session.
When are Baptisms Celebrated?
Baptisms are usually celebrated on the last weekend of the month at either the 4:00 p.m. Saturday mass or at the 10:00 a.m. Sunday mass. Baptisms are only scheduled once the Baptismal Preparation Process is completed. Please check with the parish office for the exact dates of baptism since the dates are adjusted according to the Liturgical year. (Advent and Lent).
To Have Your Child Baptized – Baptismal Preparation Process
- Complete the form below and submit it through on-line by computer or contact the Church Office at 603-622-6510
- Once you register on-line, you will be contacted with the dates of the Parent Enrichment Session.
- Ask your Godparent(s) to contact their parish for a Godparent Sponsor Certificate.
- Attend the Parent Enrichment Session. This session is at 6:30 p.m. and is held in the Parish House. (next door to the Church).
- At the Parent Enrichment Session, the date of the Baptism is scheduled. You will pick the date of your child’s baptism from the scheduled list of dates/times of upcoming Baptisms. After the Parent Enrichment Session and returning home, please check with the rest of your family regarding the date/mass and confirm the date/mass time with Deacon Jim.
- Arrive at Church 15 minutes prior to your scheduled date/mass for the Baptism.
Parent Enrichment Class for Baptism
Monday, February 3, 2020 6:30P.M.
Monday, March 9, 2020 6:30P.M.
Monday, March 30, 2020 6:30P.M.
Monday, May 11, 2020 6:30P.M.